B12 Solipsism

Spreading confusion over the internet since 1994

Terrorist Attack victims were targets of phone hacking by News Corp

with one comment

Mounted Police, Black Friars Lane

Mounted Police, Black Friars Lane

In an expansion of the ongoing British investigation into the Rupert Murdoch criminal empire, this despicable fact emerges:

The phone-hacking crisis enveloping the News of the World intensified on Tuesday night after it emerged that Scotland Yard has started to contact the relatives of victims of the 7 July 2005 attacks to warn them they were targeted by the paper.

The revelation that bereaved family members may have had their mobile phone messages intercepted by Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator employed by the paper, in the days following the 2005 London bombings will heap further pressure on the title’s owner, News International, part of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire.

Graham Foulkes, whose son David was killed in the attack at Edgware Road tube station, confirmed that he had been contacted by officers from Operation Weeting, the Met’s investigation into phone hacking. He said they had told him his mobile phone number, ex-directory landline number and address had been found in records made by Mulcaire that were recovered from the investigator’s office in south London.

Foulkes’s solicitor, Clifford Tibber, who represents several families who had relatives killed in the terrorist attack, said the news had “come as a terrible shock” to them as they prepared to mark the sixth anniversary of the bombings this week.

The news capped a dramatic day of unfolding developments in the News of the World phone-hacking scandal.

Police officers are turning their attention to examine every high-profile case involving the murder, abduction or attack on any child since 2001 – in response to the revelation that journalists from the tabloid newspaper hacked into the voicemail messages of the murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

Officers have already told the parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the girls killed in Soham in 2002 by Ian Huntley, that their mobiles had been hacked. Documents seized by the Metropolitan police in a 2006 raid on Mulcaire’s home show he targeted Leslie Chapman, the father of Jessica Chapman.

(click here to continue reading Families of 7/7 victims ‘were targets of phone hacking’ | Media | The Guardian.)

 

Written by Seth Anderson

July 5th, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Posted in Business,politics

Tagged with , ,

One Response to 'Terrorist Attack victims were targets of phone hacking by News Corp'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Terrorist Attack victims were targets of phone hacking by News Corp'.

  1. […] on the News of the World cellphone scandal, and on why Rupert Murdoch isn’t already in […]

Leave a Reply